Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Fat Pants


When you are overweight, or have been overweight, there are certain things that you view differently than you did prior to the weight gain.  For me, one of those things is shopping.  When I was younger, I loved to go to the mall and try on new clothes. Then I gained 50 pounds, and fitting rooms became associated with the discovery that I had, yet again, gone up a pant size.  

My worst encounter with a fitting room was in college.  A friend of mine told me that all she wore was Abercrombie and Fitch jeans because they “fit so perfectly”.  The next time I was at the mall I decided to try on a few pairs. I was horrified to discover that I could not get even the largest size in the store to fit over my thighs.  I was shopping with my boyfriend, and was completely humiliated when he asked why I didn’t buy anything.

After the A&F disaster I started shopping at Old Navy because their clothes had a more “relaxed” fit.  I will never forget how I felt when I tried on a pair of size 12 pants, only to find that they no longer felt “relaxed”.  I bought them, and I promised myself that not only would those pants fit, but that soon they would be too big for me.

As I began to lose weight, I found that I was developing a large collection of  “fat pants” (aka pants that had grown too big for me).  I didn’t know if I should keep them, or give them away. What I decided to do was to put them a box in the back of my closet.  Every four months or so, I would take the box out and try on the clothes.  It was very rewarding and motivating for me to get a visual reminder of what I had accomplished up to that point.  Trying on the clothes gave me more confidence in myself and helped push me to keep going.

Once I reached my weight loss goal, I took out the box for the last time.  I carefully looked over each pair of jeans, pondered the journey I had just been on, and felt prouder than I knew it was possible to feel.  I pulled out one nice outfit that I had bought around the same time as my token Old Navy “fat pants” and placed it in the storage closet.  The rest of the clothes I gave away.  

I kept the single outfit as a reminder of who I was before, and how much I am capable of accomplishing.  I gave the rest away because I truly wanted to start a new life.  I didn’t want the clothes remaining in my closet to become a crutch that I could lean on if I gained a little weight.  If my pants started to feel a little snug, I didn’t want to have a bigger size as a back up in the closet.  

Four years later I am still wearing a 0-2 pant size.  I gained a few pounds one fall, and I noticed that my pants were a little snug.  I used the fact that my pants were uncomfortable as motivation to step up my workouts and lose the extra pounds.  I have managed to maintain my weight loss by sticking to the philosophy that I never want to buy a larger pair of pants again.

Never in my life did I think I would be discouraged when size 0 pants felt snug.  It just goes to show that everything is relative.  

No matter what your pant size, or your goal size, please remember that anything is possible!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your motivating posts! This was just what I needed to hear!!

    ReplyDelete