Monday, January 23, 2012

Tricks for Controlling Portion Size

If I were to single out one factor that played the greatest role in my initial weight gain, I would say that it was my lack of portion control. I can trace this problem all the way back to the end of high school when I started dating a high school football player.  We all know that if you spend a lot of time with someone, you begin to pick up their habits. Unfortunately, the habit I picked up was eating portions of food larger than my head (In the diet world they say a portion is supposed to be the size of ones fist!).

I wish I could tell you that I’ve been reborn and that now I am completely satisfied by a side salad, but alas, this is not the case. If you put a large pizza in front of me, I’m still going to eat as much of it as physically possible.  So what do I do?  

In order to help me control my portions, I have come up with a few simple rules:

At home:

  • Eat at the table, not in front of the TV or computer
  • Dish up food in the kitchen and avoid bringing extra food out to the table
  • Eat meals off of salad plates instead of large dinner plates
  • Weigh and measure out portions so that you know exactly how much you are eating
  • Portion out leftovers in to meal sized portions
  • Have a low calorie side dish to fill most of the plate (roasted vegetables)
  • Drink a lot of water with meals
  • Eat slowly
  • Take the time to really determine if a second portion is needed
  • When taking seconds, stick to the lower calorie options
  • Never eat food straight out of the container, always put it into a dish

In a Restaurant:

  • Opt to split an entree with your dinner companion
  • Avoid over ordering (do you really need an appetizer, soup, side and/or dessert?)
  • Order off of the small plate, bar or appetizer menu
  • Tell your waiter that you do not need any bread/chips before your meal
  • Ask about portion sizes and order half portions if offered
  • Never go to a restaurant starving (eat a small apple first)
  • Give your leftovers to your dinner companion
  • Eat slowly
  • Drink a lot of water with your meal

Bad habits die hard, so don’t beat yourself up if you find yourself in front of the tv with an empty pizza box on your lap.

Try incorporating just a few of these rules at a time, with less change happening all at once you are more likely to succeed!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this post, Could you never mind if i put my link here to share more tips for getting in shape.
    Motivation to lose weight

    How to lose weight fast

    Halong bay cruise

    ReplyDelete