Thursday, January 26, 2012

Running Promotes a Healthy Lifestyle


When I first started my weight loss mission I had absolutely no idea where to begin.  My health and fitness knowledge was pretty slim, which is probably why I gained the weight in the first place.  In order to find a starting point, I began observing people whom I believed to be fit and healthy.  I watched what they did and tried to adopt their habits (this is something that I still do today).  One thing I noticed right away was that many of the people whom I was observing were runners.  

I have to admit that running sounded about as good to me as getting hit in the head, but I was willing to try anything in order to lose weight.  So I strapped on my running shoes that I hadn’t used since high school gym class, and went for my first run. I think I only made it a few blocks, but it was something, and that counted.  I found that running fit with my busy lifestyle because I could do it anytime and anywhere.  So, I started going on miniature runs whenever I could.  


After about five years, I can now say that I actually like running.  More than anything though, I can say that it is one of the exercises that gives me the most “bang for my buck”.  When I want to lose a few pounds quickly, I add running into my routine. A few months before my wedding I began running with my fiance. Sure enough, I dropped the extra weight in a few weeks.


Currently, I am in the routine of running for an hour two times per week.  I mix this in with other cardio exercises and strength training. It took me a long time before I was able to run for an hour. I started with 10 minute runs and then moved up in five minute time blocks. At around 30 minutes I realized I could probably go further than I thought,and jumped up to about 45 minutes.  Training will be different for everyone, make sure to listen to your body!

Here are some of the reasons I think running is a great habit to get into:

  • I burn about 600 calories/hour (find out how much you can burn here)
  • It is something that you can do almost anywhere (even on vacation)
  • It is a good activity to do with friends
  • It is a quick, easy way to get in a workout (just walk out your front door)
  • It is a good way to explore new neighborhoods/trails
  • Running promotes healthy eating (you can’t run with a cheeseburger in your stomach)
  • There are so many ways to change it up
    • Indoor vs outdoor
    • Interval training (best for calorie burning)
    • Hills vs flat
    • Trails vs street
  • It can be addictive (which makes it a great activity for maintaining weight loss)
  • It boasts your energy
  • It is easy to see and track your progress (which can be fun and motivating)
  • Community running events are plentiful and fun
If you are new to running, it will be very hard at first.  Do not give up, I promise that the rewards will be worth it! Schedule running into your weekly routine, and make sure you are running regularly.  

Hopefully, after a while, you will find that you enjoy running as much as I do!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jocelyn, my name is Claire, I live in Nairobi, Kenya and have been struggling with my weight for quite a few years now, mostly due to lack of total commitment on my part.. I've recently embarked on a new journey in my life and a real commitment is part of it. Ur blog is going a long way in keeping me motivated and I'm enjoying the helpful tips and recipes.. Thanks and keep it Up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claire,

      Thank you so much for the kind words! I am very happy to hear of your new commitment to being healthy. It is hard to admit that we need to make changes in our lifestyle and I am proud that you have made that important step. If you need any help in your journey please let me know.

      All the best,
      Jocelyn

      Delete